Tuesday 18 August 2015

Thing 9: Video

I know one of the first rules of blogging is never apologising for being away a long time, but, yeah sorry guys.

And I still didn't make a podcast. This week for sho.


This topic is a bit scarier again. I've no problem sharing videos I've taken (like recent ones of Dublin Comic Con which I have up on my YouTube) but recording myself  (which I'm sad to say I've done before for silly things like trying to promote my old blog, and there was that time I was on RTE news that is unspeakable!) that is truly terrifying.


I already have an embarrassing YouTube channel (embarrassing despite the 500,000 views video that I had to take down due to copyright infringement a la sigh) so even if Vimeo were better I'd still chose YouTube. I;ve watched many screencasts on Youtube in my time - how to code this thing, how to use this app, watch this idiot play this game. But never recorded one. It is slightly less scary than the here is me talking option I was expecting. Also, as change is inevitable in my library, perhaps it would be useful for a 'how to' use our electronic resources video. I can also understand how a more personable approach can be gained by recording videos, as well as appealing to that visual generation once more.


Once more into the breach, my friends, and I will post my results and experience as soon as I make my screencast....




Update:
So I was gonna do a soundless one at work as it's a bit slow today, but as with every technology ever you need the latest version of Java, which I cannot download because it messes with our non-updated LMS. At home it is!


update 4th September
So I finally got the latest version of Java so this could work and lo and behold my archaic netbook takes almost 3 hours (I kid you not) to confirm that it will not work on any of my browsers and just loads forever but I finally got the app downloaded so I will give a screencast a go later, finally!
later that week I recorded a few soundless screencasts showing how to use the instiutions electronic resources and now I just need to set aside a few hours to captioning them on youtube, stay tuned for that!

Well that messed up and the video is frozen on the one screencapture for nearly two minutes cutting out the most important part of the search demonstration. Need to see if any others do that:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SSWlLT8GJYM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


No comments:

Post a Comment