Tuesday 4 August 2015

Thing 6: Reflective Blogging


This does indeed sound like a good idea. I am a person who is particularly bad at being self-aware and when I do blog I write it straight out, never re-read it or check that its in any way reflective. I don't think enough about what I write. This detatched attitude probably has something to do with the fact that I think I don't have much interesting or amusing to blog about, the time to write something more than basic and I don't think too many will read what I write. There, there's some reflective thinking :P




The first post, however many times I reflected on how I got here, was enlightening still as I realised I haven't really spoken to people that much about the hard part, particularly probably because the number of my peers who are actually working in the field isn't that high. I usually focus on the 'I am lucky' part rather than 'it took a lot of me to get here and I worked hard for this'. In this economy there can often be the feeling that anybody with a job is lucky to have it rather than they deserve it and they did well in the application process. To some extent, its luck that gets your CV seen before others, but theres more than luck to it.




I did expect more reflective stuff on this course, about all our roles and about our day to day lives. My day to day environment was quite slow for a while as we only really had evening students in the summer. There was lots of students in, so some help with printing, loaning books etc, but the admin side of things slowed down. I did find that I was well able to productively occupy my time when I put my mind to it, but it's a little better now since I've feedback forms to design and other little tasks to keep me ticking over. I don't necessarily feel empowered or driven every day but I do enjoy my work.


Reflecting on the course so far, it has been interesting to see where we can connect in the profession and keep professionally developing. But it's fair to say that LinkedIn groups are more than enough to be dealing with, and maybe some Twitter stuff. Information overload does not help me professionally, so its about finding what works and  simplifying your source so that its streamlined to bring you the information you want and eradicating any areas that are of no interest.






Reading other people's thoughts on each of the tasks was interesting. People on the course come from all types of backgrounds, from librarian in training to people working in a different industry requiring the same skill set. It was nice to see others who also found that using one or other method of social networking for career was best. It's also interesting to see the varying opinions on Google+ - they range from it is useless to it is better than Facebook (which I can't say I agree with haha). I guess it was nice to know I have the rare experience of finding my Google results as being positive, though this may be down to some Google watching me situation - It seemed a bit too convenient that the first Niamh Ennis was me. It was also nice to find out I wasn't the only person with the graddip - my whole class were Masters students when I did it and I felt a bit inadequate! I am also not the only one falling behind or terrified of the Podcasts module, so that's good! Finally, I think it's reassuring that not everyone on this course was a born Librarian or came to it after years of yearning to be a Librarian.





3 comments:

  1. I agree Niamh sometimes there is just too much information / social networks out there. It is hard to keep track of them all.

    Mary #Rudai23Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Niamh,
    Lovely post. I feel exactly the same. There are so many ways of connecting now online that it is hard to know where to put your focus and where to draw the line between personal and private information. Falling behind myself - next Podcasts

    ReplyDelete