Wednesday 5 August 2015

Thing 7: Podcasts

The word podcast strikes fear into the hearts of people like me. People who don't have the most confidence in public speaking. Would I have anything noteworthy to say? Would anybody listen? Does my voice really sound like that?


I sound like a Westmeath farmer on tape. On the average day I don't really have a culchie accent. I sound Irish, but nothing specific. Maybe it's all that listening to British and American accents that makes my voice go more international .It goes slightly country,  when the slang comes back, when I'm at home with my family, but on the average day there's only the odd hint of country.  Maybe that's why Niall Horan sounds so damn culchie on TV (please don't take offence Directioners). Maybe back in the day people who thought photographs captured part of your soul were on to something; recording your voice captures the real you. For me, that's a Mullingar girl.

I've never been a big listener of podcasts. Probably some sort of snobbery on my part, only wanting to hear what trained or more notable journalists/ presenters have to say on a certain topic. I've seen the odd YouTube version or been aware of some online on so narrow a topic you'd wonder if it was a couple of fangirls/fanboys babbling on about how much they love said movie. But I've come to realise Podcasts are big business. Seems I'm the only person not following Night Vale. More importantly some of the greatest experts or most humourous observers on a given topic are those without the qualifications or general notoriety: those who do it for the love of the topic.


I guess that's why we as Librarians are tasked to podcast on our job. We wouldn't be in it if we didn't have a certain passion for it. 4 podcasts seems a bit of an ask. I might manage one about common misconceptions of librarians and what we do, possibly including an interview with another librarian, and but I'd be happy if I could manage to fill one podcast. I will of course be talking about the importance of libraries. This isn't a particularly original idea within this course, but I will try.  This is assuming that the podcast has to be about your professional brand or whatnot. I think I'd have a lot more to say if, like so many others, I blabbed about my fandom interests. That said a podcast may be useful way to connect with your users and talk them through the digital services for when they are at home.

I'll listen to some of the options and update <<here>>.

As always one of the hardest parts is capturing what you do record right. I used to have a Dictaphone back in my Sociology day (that thing was expensive for what I actually used it) but as suggested Audacity is probably the inexpensive and easy option. I used it last for research methods in the MLIS so I hope I didn't delete the thing! It's listed as editing software but it's also useful to recording.

Well that's handy, soundcloud can be signed up for with Google. Though I'm concerned they knew what phone I had and wanted to know if I wanted the app downloaded there....




I'll update when I've recorded something, which will probably be Friday when I'm alone at home in the afternoon. I'd be scarlet otherwise!

Stay Tuned for that embarrassing clip!

>UPDATE<
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/220130507&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>




No comments:

Post a Comment